Tips for Pain & Inflammation with Herbalist Amanda Furbee
Like all things related to the body, there is not a one-size-fits-all approach that works for everyone. Luckily for us, there are many different plant allies that can support different bodies and different ailments.
Some of the most common ailments that folks come into the Shoppe asking about are pain and Inflammation. As herbalists, we like to get to the root cause of what’s going on in the body. When I am looking at something out of balance, it often stems from nutrition, environment, wellness practices, and mental health. Getting a well-rounded picture of why someone is having pain or inflammation is the best approach for re-establishing balance in the body.
Let’s dive into different approaches to finding that balance!
Here are my thoughts on pain & inflammation:
- Check out foods that cause inflammation: Let’s start with diet. There are several foods that can cause inflammation in the diet - check out our Anti-Inflammatory Guide for a list. The best way to understand your body is to eliminate these food groups for 2-3 weeks, then reintroduce them one by one to see if you feel inflammation in the body. Inflammation can come in many forms from joint pain, gut issues, headaches, stuffiness, and more. This takes some commitment, but you will be amazed at what you discover about your body. As each body is so different, working with a nutritionist or doctor can be helpful if you have more concerns about diet and inflammation.
- Soothe inflammation in the gut: If you find that you are having digestive issues such as cramping, gas, bloating, constipation, or loose stool, you probably have an imbalance in your gut. Identifying what foods could be causing this (see the previous bullet) will help to get the inflammation down and nourish the gut. In the meantime, there are many herbs to help with soothing the gut. Marshmallow and Slippery Elm are a few of my favorites or check out our Stomach Soother & Well Belly products. After all our gut is our first brain!
- Nourish your liver: The liver is one of the main organs that flushes toxins out of our body. Inflammation is heat in the body and runs through the liver. Doing a nourishing & gentle liver cleanse can turn down some of that heat. Check out our liver-supporting products.
- Herbs that help with inflammation: You will benefit from learning what the core source of your inflammation is, but here are a few herbs that can help manage inflammation in the meantime: Turmeric & Black Pepper Combo, Devil's Claw, Cat's Claw, Birch Bark, Ginger, Nettle Leaf.
- Herbs for Pain: So much pain is caused by inflammation, so it is hard to distinguish what the difference is right away. However, these are some herbs I work with when I am experiencing pain in the body: Lavender, Feverfew, Kava Kava Root, Jamaican Dogwood, White Willow Bark, Frankincense.
THS Products: At THS we make an array of products to help with pain & inflammation. And for the month of August 2022, these products are 15% off! You can check out our monthly specials here.
Stop by and see us to view our complete line of THS Products, create your own custom blend in our blending bar or set up a consultation with me to dive deeper your health needs. To set up an herbal consultation with me, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published